Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

mad style.


 Saturday night I attended the Lakeshore Independent Business Alliance (LIBA) Retro Cocktail Party. The dress theme was 'Mad Men' so I poked around through Abby's backstock and came up with something at the last minute that worked pretty well - at least it fit!
  But thats just it. What I wore fit. Like a glove. And it got me to thinking that all the styles from that era fit the same way. Perfectly tailored and meant to fit you. 
And the question we get asked so often in the store is "how were womens waists so tiny back then?" . well, after last night I had a firsthand chance to discover why.
  I had already restrained myself that day and only ate an egg and some celery just so I could get my dress zipped up. And then I had to squeeze into my extra support hose and  still suck in my gut and wiggle into my dress which had a tiny tight little belt that hit me  right around the ribcage. And then I wore my super pointy little kitten heels and had to watch my every litttle step so I didnt trip on , well, everything. And here is what I noticed...
 There were lots of appetizers served at this event. And drinks ( yay for yummy martinis!). And my egg and celery fast was wearing thin so I decided I could have watever I wanted..But after about 3 bites of some tasty treats I realized I really wasnt comfortable eating any more. I felt like everything stopped around my waist and it was like my belly had a roadblock. Now granted I was wearing head to toe vintage unlike the way we wear it now. But if I had to dress like that everyday, with probably even more foundation garments, I would likely just  about give up on eating. Or at least very little.
 I love the look of Mad Men and loved seeing everyone dressed with such attention to detail. There are many ways to incorporate vintage that fits with modern accents. Try pairing a solid vintage dress with dark tights and updated shoes. Try that sassy cocktail dress of yours with a daring vintage hat or shoes. 
As much as I loved being dressed up and having a night on the town, I  have to admit I  could'nt wait until I got home and put on my flannel jammies. And then proceeded to chow down.....

ps...billiam won best dressed man!




3 comments:

  1. Both of you look great and look perfect for the occasion. I also love that dress on the mannequin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The dress is from a company in London called Emily and Fin. They take vintage dresses and turn them into patterns.

    ReplyDelete